Jarryd Hayne: “Farewell Parramatta”


Jarryd Hayne admitted that there is little to no chance of him wearing the blue and gold again, conceding it is unlikely Parramatta will be able to clear enough salary cap room to make a suitable contract offer for next season.

One of the club’s standout players in 2018, the Eels have little funds to spend on their prodigal son and have been attempting to broker deals with rival clubs to shed a number of players off their roster.

Hayne’s future may lie in the hands of Michael Jennings who is in the middle of negotiations over a possible early release to Newcastle, however Hayne admits his time is Parramatta is over.

‘’They’ve signed their marquee guys for next year and obviously they thought one or two guys were going to leave but they haven’t which is a credit to them that they want to stay, we obviously had a bad year last year,’’ Hayne told Channel 10.

‘’What that means is I’ve got to look elsewhere which is just one of them things.

‘’It’s obviously a business the way it’s run. I’m not going to sit here and kick stones about it. I’ll support the boys and Parra will always be home to me but at the end of the day I’ve got to move on.”

The former NSW superstar believes he still has plenty to offer and is capable of playing up until the age of 34.

‘’I look good but I don’t feel good, probably four more years (of playing). It will be a blessing to last until I’m 34,’’ he said.

St George Illawarra have expressed interest in acquiring Hayne and both parties have reportedly been in dialogue over the past few days.

Dragons director of rugby league pathways Ian Millward and coach Paul McGregor returned from holiday on Monday, meaning negotiations could speed up shortly

His versatility means he could fill in at centre or return to his famous No.1 jumper should the inexperienced Matt Dufty fail to meet expectations.

Leave a Reply