St Helens vs Widnes – Saints Take Home Karalius Cup

St Helens fans got their first look at the club’s new signings today when they faced Widnes in the annual Karalius Cup today at Totally Wicked Stadium.

It only took eight minutes for new recruit and former Melbourne Storm star Ryan Morgan to cross the line to put the first point on the board. Morgan received a beautiful pass from Theo Fages and was able to go under the posts un-checked. Another new recruit in Matty Smith converts the extra point to give the Saints a early 6-0 lead.


Solid defensive work from both sides kept the score the same for the remainder of the 1st half. Both side made plenty of attacking plays without any success and the players went into the sheds at halftime with the Saints ahead by a converted Try.

The main cocern would be with the Saints even though they have the lead, as new recruit Matty Smith was forced to leave the field with what looked to be a ankle injury.

Fans at the ground would be hoping that the 2nd half produced more points in this friendly as the clubs battle it out for the annual Karalius Cup. Theo Fages displayed his silky skills during the first half and give St Helens fans something to look forward to as he continues to improve as a player.


After going 32 minutes with out a score from both sides, St Helens came out and put more points on the board within the opening minute of the second half with Jake Spending bouncing on the loose ball to touch down for more points for St Helens. Saints unable to convert from the side line, leaving St Helens with a 10-0 lead.


St Helens coach Keiron Cunningham makes changes with the lead at 10-0 and 30 minutes remaining, Cunningham bloods some of his younger players and some academy products.

Jonah Cunningham got his chance as he entered the game at the 55″ mark over the hooker duties from James Roby, ending the veteran days.


Tom Gilmore for the Widnes Vikings looked dangerous all game as he peppered the Saints defence, but with very little success . This would be pleaseing to see though there is life after Kevin Brown.

With 13 minutes remaining the Saints put the game away with Theo Fages crossing for what would be the final score of the game and a convert try gives the Saints a 16-0 victory to claim the Karalius Cup for 2017.