Warrington Overcome Brave Vikings

Warrington Wolves over come local rivals Widnes Vikings, in the Festive Derby at Select Security Stadium 18-28.


The Vikings at home started off better of the two sides, with Kevin Brown’s replacement Tom Gilmore impressing his coach and fans early with some brilliant plays.  

The Vikings had all the attack the first 10 minutes and eventually the Warrington defence cracked with brilliant cut out ball from Gilmore to set up Stefan Marsh for the first TRY of the game. Marsh converted his own try to take the lead 6-0 in the early going.


The Vikings continued to pepper the Wolves line and Danny Craven crossed it again at the 24th minute, receiving a great inside ball from Gilmore, but the play was disallowed, as the referee called Gilmore’s pass forward.

Warrington finally put points on the board at the 33rd minute of the game when Harvey Livett capitalised on dropped ball by Marsh to make score 6-6, after Livett converted his own TRY.

It took the home side just 3 minutes to respond, putting more points on the board with Gilmore in the action again, setting up Ryan Ince with a brilliant grubber kick in behind the Wolves defence to score in the right corner. With Marsh missing the conversion the halftime score was 10-6 to Widnes.


The Vikings begun the second half just as well as they finished the first half, with Keanan Brand putting the Vikings 3rd try over the line just 8 minutes into the second half. With the conversion missed the Vikings lead 14-6.

Warrington responded immediately with Ryan Atkins crossing the line for the Wire and the by Livett narrows the gap 14-12.

Widnes opened the gap further in the 63rd minutes with Liam Walsh crossing the line and the missed conversion again from the Vikings making it just 6 points in it, 18-12.


Warrington too little time responding once again with Toby King, breaking the lines and running 50 metres to score. The bad kicking continued this time Livett missing the conversion reducing the gap to two points at 18-16.

With just 10 minutes left in the game, it was evident that the Vikings had begun to tire and Declan Kay took full advantage of this crossing the line, with Livett back on target with the conversion and taking the lead for the first time in the game, making it 18-22 with just 6 minutes to play.

Then Rhys Evans put the game to bed in the 77th minute crossing for the final score of the game, delivering Tony Smith and his side a Festive Derby victory. Livett converted to make the final score 18-28.


Match Statistics:

Final Score: Widnes 18 – 28 Warrington.

Try Scorers: 

  • Widness: Stefan Marsh , Ryan Ince, Keanan Brand, Liam Walsh
  • Warrington: Harvey Livett, Ryan Atkins, Toby King, Declan Kay, Rhys Evans